Drugs of Abuse Reagents
The abuse of drugs and alcohol is a growing problem which not only implicates societal costs and strain on a country’s healthcare system, but also has huge ramifications for the user and their family, friends and work colleagues. In order to assist in dealing with the issue of substance abuse, Randox provide a comprehensive range of 10 drugs of abuse testing assays; Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Cannabinoids, Cocaine Metabolite, Ethanol, Ecstasy, EDDP, Methadone, Methamphetamine and Opiates.
To discover more about our range of drugs of abuse assays select an option from the drop-down menu. Alternatively read on for more information about drugs of abuse and the benefits of Randox assays.
Drugs of Abuse products available from Randox
The widespread availability of drugs and alcohol is leading to increased substance abuse issues. With various types of drugs available there are numerous effects, risks and dangers implicated with each. Different drugs can be categorized into different groups depending upon the effects they have on the body and mind; these are stimulants, sedatives and opioids.
- Stimulants are psychoactive substances that stimulate the brain and body
- Drugs include: Methamphetamine, Cocaine and Ecstasy (also a hallucinogenic)
- Symptoms include euphoria, alertness and a sense of increased energy
- Side effects include depression, cardiac arrhythmias/hypertension, appetite suppression and sleep disorders
- Sedatives are Central Nervous System depressants that affect brain activity and result in calming or sleep-inducing effects
- Drugs include: Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Ethanol and Cannabinoids (also a hallucinogenic)
- Risks associated with recreational consumption include lowered blood pressure, fatigue, impaired judgement and respiratory depression
- Opioids are pain killing drugs that resemble the effects of opiates i.e. they provide pain relief, sedation and in large doses, can induce comas
- Drugs include: Opiates, Methadone and EDDP
- Side effects include sedation, respiratory depression, constipation and a strong sense of euphoria
Therapeutic drug use can lead to substance abuse…
Many of these drugs are used therapeutically; some Central Nervous System depressants are used as sedatives and anticonvulsants (antiepileptic drugs) in addition to Methadone which is commonly used as a substitute drug to treat heroin addiction. Therapeutic use of these drugs can lead to drug misuse, and therefore use of them must be closely monitored to ensure substance abuse is not occurring.
Accurate screening of drug abuse is essential!
Randox assays offer high quality, accurate substance abuse screening. Accuracy is essential in the screening of drugs and alcohol due to the detrimental effects of wrongful conclusions; false reporting of positive results puts the user, and those around them, in danger. Similarly falsely reporting someone as being involved in substance abuse can lead to severe damage to their social life and career.
Randox drugs of abuse assays are liquid ready-to-use for increased efficiency with applications available for over 30 different analysers. Other benefits include:
- Homogenous Enzyme Immunoassay (expect for Ethanol which adopts an enzymatic method)
- Stable for 28 days at 10°C
- Excellent correlation with the GC/MS method
- Extensive measuring ranges
- Qualitative or quantitative results
- All assays can be run on urine samples
To order your drugs of abuse kits please visit our online store or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with your local sales representative. Alternatively, for more information or for informative materials and kit inserts please contact us.