Randox Health partners with Tim Cogley Cardiac Screening Foundation to offer free health checks in Wirral
On 9th April 2017 Tim Cogley, an apparently fit and healthy 34-year-old, suffered a fatal heart attack whilst walking home after a night out with friends. Despite showing no symptoms, Tim had a 75% cholesterol blockage of the left descending coronary artery. Since then his family have set up the Tim Cogley Foundation to help raise awareness of coronary heart screening in 18 to 39-year-olds.
Throughout November, the charity, in association with Randox Health, will offer free health checks, including heart screening, to men and women between the ages of 18 and 39 in Wirral.
Appointments will last around 15 minutes and will involve blood pressure testing, body composition analysis and blood sampling to test for glucose concentration (relating to diabetes risk), lipid profile results (including important Total Cholesterol: HDL Cholesterol ratios), and additional key biomarkers relevant to CVD risk, including kidney function tests.
Participants aged 25 or over will also be provided with a unique Cardiovascular Risk Score, which details your risk of experiencing a cardiac event over the next 10 years.
Frank Cogley, Tim’s father, said of the cardiac screening:
“There are many types of heart disease. The national media sadly, but regularly, report instances of young people suddenly dying, as in the case of our youngest son Tim, from undiagnosed heart disease. The current lack of routine screening of 18-39 year olds leaves a gaping chasm in our healthcare provision but with our highly motivated partner, Randox Health, we hope to redress this through lifestyle changes and preventative health programmes.
“The Tim Cogley Cardiac Screening Foundation is committed to delivering positive, action-focused and life-changing programmes. The essence of the charity, and its whole approach of reaching out to help others, reflects Tim’s character and, in that sense, keeps alive his driving force. I can’t imagine a legacy more in tune with the generous, kind and supportive person that was Tim.”
Dates for the screening are as follows:
- Thursday, November 1 – 4pm to 8pm – Tesco, Telegraph Road, Heswall
- Saturday, November 3 – 10am to 4pm – Tesco, Telegraph Road, Heswall
- Tuesday, November 6 – 10am to 2pm – Warrens Medical Centre, Arrowe Park Road
- Thursday, November 8 – 4pm to 8pm – UTS Foundation, Newhall Lane, Hoylake
- Monday, November 12 – 10am to 2pm – Wirral Met 12 Quays Campus, Shore Road, Birkenhead
- Wednesday, November 14 – 4pm to 8pm – Caldy Sports Club, Telegraph Road, Thurstaston
- Saturday, November 17 – 10am to 2pm – Eastham Drop In Centre, 31 Eastham Rake
- Tuesday, November 20 – 10am to 2pm – Warrens Medical Centre, Arrowe Park Road
- Thursday, November 22 – 4pm to 8pm – UTS Foundation, Newhall Lane, Hoylake
- Monday, November 26 – 10am to 2pm – Greasby Medical Centre, Greasby Road
- Wednesday, November 28 – 4pm to 8pm – Drop In Centre, Victoria General Hospital, Marymount Close, Wallasey
- Saturday, December 1 – 10am to 2pm – Wirral Met Oval Campus, Old Chester Road, Bebington
Dr Peter FitzGerald, Managing Director of Randox Health, commented:
“It is an honour to be partnering with Frank and the team at The Tim Cogley Cardiac Screening Foundation to offer young people across Wirral and Merseyside the chance to avail of the advanced health screening we provide at Randox Health. We know all too well the benefit of prevention over cure, and you need look no further than Frank Cogley who is working tirelessly to turn his son’s tragic death into a force for good to see how important this is. It is so encouraging therefore to see how popular this initiative has proven thus far, and we are now adding further screening slots to our clinic in Exchange Station to accommodate the high demand.”
Further screening will take place at the Randox Health Liverpool Clinic, Tithebarn Street, Liverpool L2 2QP, so if you would like to participate please visit www.timcogleyfoundation.com/cardiac-screening to read the pre-screening information, and then call Randox Health on 0151 665 0700 to book your appointment.
During the month of November Randox Health Liverpool will also be offering free Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) blood tests in celebration of Movember, Men’s Health Month. Offering a pre-cursor to a physical examination, the Randox Health prostate health check can stratify patients who may need referred on for further testing.
For further information about Randox Health’s partnership with The Tim Cogley Cardiac Screening Foundation or about our complimentary Prostate Health Checks please contact Randox PR by emailing email@example.com or phoning 028 9442 2413.