World Heart Day from Randox Biosciences
The World Heart Federation (WHF) is the acting global voice in leading the universal fight against cardiovascular disease (CVD). Part of the WHF mission is to ensure heart health equity for everyone. They believe everybody is entitled to cardiovascular health and well-being through health promotion, access to prevention, control and management of CVD 1.
World Heart Day falls on the 29th September where people make a promise to promote and implement healthier lifestyles to maintain a happy and healthy heart, reducing the potential risks of heart disease and stroke. CVD takes the lead being the number one cause of death world-wide 2 relating to all heart and circulatory diseases consisting of coronary heart disease, angina, heart attack, congenital heart disease, hypertension, stroke and vascular dementia 3.
According to the World Health Organisation2:
- An estimated 17.9 million people died from CVD in 2016, representing 31% of all global deaths. Of these deaths, 85% were due to heart attack and stroke.
- Out of the 17 million premature deaths (under the age of 70) due to noncommunicable diseases in 2015, 82% were in low- and middle-income countries, and 37% were caused by CVD.
- Most cardiovascular diseases can be prevented by addressing behavioural risk factors such as tobacco use, unhealthy diet and alcohol abuse.
Cytokines have a central role within the immune system; they are a category of signalling molecules that mediate and regulate immunity, inflammation and hematopoiesis 4. Cytokine and inflammatory mechanisms have major implications for the vascular system and can lead to CVD.
Cytokines exist in broad families that are structurally related but exhibit diverse function. The major classes of cytokines include: pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines, cytokines of neutrophil and eosinophil recruitment and activation, cytokines derived from T-helper (Th) and T-regulatory (Tregs) cells, and cytokines of T-cell recruitment and growth factors. 5
Randox offers a comprehensive menu of 26 cytokine, cytokine receptors and growth factors over four multi-analyte arrays. Each cytokine assay is performed on biochip array technology with spatially discrete test regions containing antibodies specific to each of the analytes. The combination of highly specific antibodies and advanced chemistries enables up to 12 cytokines and growth factors to be detected simultaneously in a single sample.
Cytokine Array I Cytokine Array III
- Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF) – Granulocyte Macrophage Colony Stimulating
- Interferon-y – Interleukin-5
- Interleukin-1a – Interleukin-15
- Interleukin-1b – Macrophage Inflammatory Protein-1a
- Monocyte Chemotactic Protein-1
- Tumour Necrosis Factor-a
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor
Cytokine Array IV Cytokine Array V
- Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 – Interleukin-3
- Soluble IL-2 Receptor a – Interleukin-7
- Soluble IL-6 Receptor – Interleukin-13
- Soluble Tumour Necrosis Factor Receptor I – Interleukin-12 p70
- Soluble Tumour Necrosis Factor Receptor II – Interleukin-23
Key Benefits of Randox Cytokine Arrays:
- Multiplex testing from a single sample.
- Suitable for human serum and plasma samples.
- Small sample volume required.
- Excellent analytical performance.
- Fast throughput.
- Applicable to fully automated and semi-automated Evidence analysers.
Randox manufacture the majority of assay raw materials in-house and can therefore take a more tailored approach, by adapting assays to the needs of your research project to best fit your individual requirements.
Randox Biosciences Products and Services
Want to know more about Randox?
Contact us or visit our homepage to view more.